Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday Mastery: Coin Purses

For the most part, we do inexpensive, stuff-from-around-the-house kinds of crafts for school for obvious reasons.  But sometimes, I like to get something special from local craft supply stores.  This was one of those times.

The older two boys and I are studying North America right now in our My Father's World Year of Countries and Cultures, so I thought this leather coin purse craft would be fun as a representation of the kinds of crafts Native Americans once made.  And also, useful to them after the fact!  Hobby Lobby sold each kit for $4.99, which is kind of pricey, but thankfully, I only needed two.

Where does the mastery come in?  Well, even though the crafts were recommended for ages 6 and up, both boys still required a lot of support in completing them (they were a little tricky, to be honest -- I don't think our 6's would be able to do them at all).  Z did about half of the work, till he gave up and I finished it for him, and H got about 3/4 of the way around before he handed it off.  So, I definitely learned how to make these little coin purses!!

P.S. As a bonus mastery item, I've also gotten really good at efficiently talking with AAA for roadside assistance.  I know exactly the answers they need before they ask.  Unfortunately, it's because of several auto issues I've had lately with my Suburban.  A few weeks ago, the battery died completely at Michael's and AAA installed a new one right there; then today, the power steering pump went out (while balloon chasing) and after being towed to the repair shop, they found out my back brakes and two belts needed replacing as well!  Yikes. 

So, prayers are appreciated for God's provision for all the repair work, as well as praises that both situations have not yielded any dangerous situations ... once in a parking lot and the other, right next to a parking lot that I was able to manually (with all my might) steer into safely.  Our girls were with me both times, so they're beginning to think they are bad for my truck. :( Ha.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about the car troubles!

    Those little purses are cute. I think I like the one on the right the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, yeah. At least we have a car (or 3), so with them come occasional (or frequent) troubles.

    They only had the two choices in the coin purses: wolf and bear. Z did the bear (because he's my "teddy bear") and H did the wolf. I picked so they wouldn't fight. I should mention that while most the craft is leather, the lace is actually plastic -- so not at all authentic there, but it got the point across, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also forgot to mention that we read a brief history on leather (written for kids) before we did the project. We were surprised that they used to use urine to cure it -- gathering it from public toilets and homes to sit in jars for a bit till it turned to ammonia. Ew. There's another little mastery moment for you all. :)

    ReplyDelete