Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday Mastery: Making the Best of It

I don't do a very good job hiding my negative feelings about Halloween each year.  It's by far my least favorite holiday for several reasons I won't go into right now.  But alas, my five children love Halloween, so I've been forced to find a balance and not be the family Scrooge every October 31.

I found something I do love doing that makes the holiday not only bearable, but fun, for me.  The new tradition started last year when I decided to do a photo booth at our church's Harvest Festival & Trunk-or-Treat.  I take people's digital pictures for free and they get them electronically following the event.

Honestly, I love taking pictures of kids and families anyway, so why not put that enjoyment to use for the community and our church family?!  It's a win-win, really, because who doesn't want a nice, posed picture of their family or kids all dressed up in costumes?  For free?!

Free also takes the pressure off me to be the perfect photographer.  Though, I'll say, most people were pleased with the results even if I wasn't really trying that hard. A good camera really helps.

This year, I was asked to coordinate the Harvest Festival in its entirety because the person who did it last year had some last minute family things to deal with and didn't have the time to put into event-planning (completely understandable).  I took it on because, hey, I like to plan things -- haven't you heard?!  But also, because it was something to focus my energy on to pull me through this low-point in my favorite season of the year.

Tonight is the night.  Happy Harvest.  I'll be running a photo booth again (with my sister, this year!) and seeing that everyone else is taken care of in order to do theirs to the best of their ability.  Because if a grump like me can get in there and give it her all, then certainly less Scrooge-like participants can make it super.

So the trick to making it through something I don't like very much at all, is finding a good way to vest my time and energy.  And this year, I think I've got it down.  It's October 31 and I don't feel super grumbly!  So it must be working!

No comments:

Post a Comment