Thursday, November 29, 2012

Paleo Update 3

It's been about two-and-a-half weeks since we began Paleo and thankfully, after my little stall, I'm continuing to lose weight.  As of today, I've lost exactly ten pounds (to the tenth of a pound).  Woohoo!

I continue to feel great most of the time.  We even built graham cracker ginger bread houses yesterday and I didn't so much as lick my fingers after handling all that sugary candy.  Christian did equally well holding up against all that temptation.  I'm so proud of him for sticking this out so far with me.


Here is mine.

The other bit of information my chiropractor gave me when I talked about the weight-loss plateau, was that I need to eat more fat (the right kinds). 

Doesn't it sound counterproductive?  It does to me.  But that's exactly what I did.  I started cooking my eggs in coconut oil instead of just nonstick spray.  That's pretty much the only major change I made.

I was raised during a time when we learned that fat is bad.  But now I'm supposed to unravel everything I've learned and accept that fat is good?  So weird.

But for some reason, it works.  The extra pounds coming off is proof of it for now.

I have a regular doctor's visit coming soon (with lab work), so hopefully he'll be able to tell me this is all going well for me and I haven't jacked up my cholesterol or something with this diet.  I have been eating way more veggies and fruit than I was before, so hopefully that balances the extra meat and fat.

We'll see.


P.S. I know that at least a few of my posts have revealed my natural skepticism.  I do try hard to be positive, but some stuff just seems really hard to believe (i.e., more fat is good and helps with weight loss).  I think that makes me a good product tester or program tester because I'm quick to admit when something is actually good, but everything goes through a rigorous testing period with me because I'm pretty sure I'm going to find fault.  And sometimes, I don't.  It surprises even me.


5 comments:

  1. Bravo R...I've lost 50# and it feels great...coconut oil is great for you...we are told to use 1 teaspoon a day some how...healthy oils! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Hope Rising! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that olive oil is good for you, but I thought cocoanut oil was bad. Learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember how all the nutritionists went against coconut oil for a long time and people switched to olive oil and canola, etc.? Well, apparently, they've discovered they were wrong. Much like how butter got a bad name and they came up with margarine. Now margarine is evil and real butter is preferred again (I like the taste of real butter better anyway).

    Someday we'll figure this stuff out.

    But olive oil is still good for us and I rely on it to make my salads taste good because there's no "Ranch" in Paleo. Most bottled dressings contain sugar, actually. So that doesn't work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm naturally skeptical of a lot of diet things too. Glad this is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete