C and his fabulous cooking talents did not go to waste this year. He was especially challenged to create some Paleo-friendly foods so H and I could eat. I will tell you that H splurged and had a couple bites of non-Paleo food for the holiday (but mostly did great!), but I was able to happily stuck to my diet and still felt celebratory all day long!
We tend to do an early lunch and a regularly-timed dinner on Thanksgiving, so we can sample more of a variety as things are spread over two meals. There are snacks in between, of course. So the following is a list of everything on the menu all day -- Paleo and non-Paleo combined...
- Turkey (cooked by C, but donated to the dinner by my sister, D) with gravy
- Salmon -- both a smoked filet and as a stuffing inside of giant grilled mushrooms
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Salad with homemade ranch dressing (or olive oil dressing)
- Green beans
- Salt Potatoes with chipotle cream dressing
- Vegetable platter (broccoli, carrots, peppers, tomatoes)
- Fruit platter (Cuties, grapes, cucumbers)
- Assorted nuts and seeds for eating or putting on the salad or whatever
- Vanilla coconut milk
- Pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream
- Pecan bars
- Paleo-friendly dessert - Pumpkin "cheese" cake (which was so incredibly good, I'm sad I never would have tried this pre-Paleo)
When we saw all that was left over after dinner, C said, "We should have invited more people."
And we did try to invite others, but it seems that most people we know would rather spend Thanksgiving with their own families, so there you go. More leftovers for my sister's family and ours to cover us through the weekend.
We still had a great time with D and my nieces -- played Wordsters and Whoonu -- which have been up in the my closet for awhile and kind of forgotten. All the kids got along the whole time and there wasn't much complaining about food or boredom. I feel like all the kids ate pretty healthy all day since we didn't have a lot of unhealthy options available to them -- and they liked it anyway! It was a good day.
And now, I'm going to go splurge and have a second piece of my special dessert. It's so good!