Friday, February 17, 2012

Lots of Prayers

There is always something to pray about and someone to pray for.  But just lately, I feel like my prayer list is so long, I can barely keep track.  Though my kids are in a pretty good habit of keeping a prayer journal, I'm on again and off again (and currently off), so it gets to a point when I feel overwhelmed trying to remember all the promises I've made to pray for people.

It's silly, really, because God knows all the needs.  And if I tell someone I will pray for them, isn't God party to that conversation?  Does He take that moment I'm encouraging someone with a promise to pray and just accept it as a prayer on behalf of that person, or is He waiting around for me to get back to that promise before He acts?

I'm going to venture a guess and say that our benevolent God is on top of things well before we even have the opportunity to promise someone we'll pray.  But I know the Bible tells us to ask Him and tells us to pray for others, so when I make these promises to people, I am completely well-intentioned and my heart is saying a prayer for them right then and there. 

I have tried to get into the habit of asking people if they'd like me to pray for them (or with them) right then.  And with my kids, we do it right on the spot when they have a need or concern.  But some people seem to think that's awkward and I think they just like knowing that I'm taking that little request with me and sending it up to God with my special powers of Christianity and the fact that I'm thinking of the request later, when I'm no longer in proximity of that person makes it all so much better.  I am not sure why.

So anyway, if I tell you I will gladly pray for you or your situation (and you're reading this), don't dismay.  I accept the blessing of praying for you and whether it's a thought-whisper prayer at that very moment, whether we bow our heads in presence of one another and our God or whether I remember to pray in the days to come, it's all going to One God.  He knows all.  He rules over all.  I believe He hears all prayers, at any volume, at any length and at any moment in my lifetime.  Yours, too, for that matter.

I do want to make special mention of some families I've felt particularly burdened to pray for over this past week or so and these are like seven particular families we know who are all at various stages of the adoption process.  Two of them are halfway around the world as I type this.  Having adopted, I have a special heart for other adoptive families.  I know the waiting, the paperwork, the choices, the financial needs, the bonding issues and all that goes along with adoption.  But I also know the tremendous joy it is for a family to come together by way of adoption.  So if you're one of these particular families, please know that I've lifted you up several times this week already and God's heard.  If you're not one of these families -- and I said I'd pray for you about something -- God's heard that, too.

God is good.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate. I go through mini-phases of feeling too overwhelmed by needs to pray for any of them! Praying about it right then does help, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, R! This is a very thought-provoking and inspiring
    blog. You have such a beautiful way of putting concerns, many of us have, into words. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mom. I learned from the best. :)

    ReplyDelete