I was right! I loved it. Even though I mixed spinach in with fruit flavors, which has always weirded me out.
Healthy Elvis Smoothie
Place the following ingredients in a large cup (all measurements are generalized to keep it simple)...
- crushed ice (I filled the cup about halfway)
- 3/4 - 1 c. uncooked baby spinach
- 1 lg. ripe banana (the more ripe the banana, the sweeter your smoothie)
- 2 T. almond butter (or other nut butter of your choice)
- 1-2 T. extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 T. real uncured bacon bits
- coconut milk*
Using a stick blender (or feel free to use your regular blender or smoothie maker), blend until generally smooth and combined. The bacon bits don't usually break down too much further -- but they give the smoothie some nice texture and something to chew on between sips.
So the main flavors are the banana and almond butter, which sort of represents the grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches Elvis loved. The bacon and coconut flavors are sort of representative of the Monte Cristo (in lieu of ham and French toast). Maybe it's a stretch, but throw some spinach in that thing and you've got yourself a protein- and vitamin-rich smoothie.
C was reluctant to taste it, but he did and he was surprised at its yumminess. He especially liked the bits of bacon!
I hope you enjoy this.