Sunday, May 27, 2012

End of Year Evaluations

After final exams, I finish up each school year with evaluations -- this is usually a series of questions that make the kids think about their school year and their future, so we can record their state of mind about things for posterity.  Fun, right?  This year, I did the same.  I found questions from other teachers online and made up some of my own.  It was fun to sit down with each kid to go through their thoughts and ideas this way (the older kids did theirs on their own, but it's so fun to read).

I don't want to bore you with all of the answers, so I'll just share my favorites here:

1. What is something we did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?
J: The shark craft using two cups.  Even though mine is wrecked now, I still remember it.

2. What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?
O: I am proud of knowing the alphabet in my brain.

3. What was the nicest thing someone in the family did for you this year?
S: When I got my wisdom teeth pulled, my sister was there to (take care of) my every need and keep me company.

4. What was the most challenging part of this school year for me?
H: Doing school with Z sometimes.

5. What is your favorite thing about our classroom?  Why?
S: The potential the room has, but has not yet been figured out.

6. If you could change one thing that happened this year, what would it be?
O: I would do more crafts.

7. What are three things you did this year to help your classmates/siblings?
Z: I helped S cheer up, I helped O (learn) to ride his bike and do tricks.

8. What are the three most important things you learned this year?
S: I learned I don't always have to start a new thing on Mondays; that the world isn't a wonderful place -- it's scary; that making a big decision takes a lot of thinking and thought.

9. What is something that was hard for you at the start of the year, but is easy now?
J: Math.  (Note: She's doing single-digit addition at this point.  I won't spoil her good attitude by telling her it gets much harder than this.)

10. In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements?
S: An area that I feel like I improved was being honest and staying in the Light.

11. What is your favorite part of the school day?  Why?
H: Devotions because we're all together doing school.

12. What is something you taught your teacher or classmates this year?
O: I taught her (teacher) to be patient.
H: I taught Daddy that there is a 20.3 foot crocodile.

13. Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite? Why?
(I'm sharing all of their answers because these recommendations come straight from the kids themselves.)
S: Smart Aleck's Guide to American History, because I'm learning, but it's taught in a funny way.
H: Inkheart, because the story was always interesting.
Z: Average Boy, because it's funny and I can relate.
J: Hi, Word Bird!, because I can read it!
O: The Bible, because it has my favorite stories in it.

14. What was the best piece of writing that you did this year?  Why do you think it is your best?
H: My haiku about the seasons, because it was beautiful.

15. What person in the family has made the biggest impact in your life this year?  Why?
O: H, because he's teaching me not to yell and say bad words.

16. What is something the teacher could have done to make this year better?
J: Have more hugs.

17. What are six adjectives that best describe this school year?
(Listing my favorite six, not all from one child.)
  • word-filled
  • educational
  • frustrating
  • challenging
  • boring
  • fun

18. Knowing what you know now, if you could write a letter to yourself that would travel back in time so that you would receive it at the start of the school year, what advice would you give your younger self?
Z: It's not easy -- so pay attention!
O: Obey your parents and don't lie. 

19. When you consider the rest of your life, what percentage (or how much) of what you learned this year do you think will be useful to you?
J: A lot.  Especially math.
S: I would probably have to say just about 80% of what I learn would be useful in life.  The other 20%, not as much.

20. What godly characteristic(s) or Bible verse(s) that we learned about this school year influenced your behavior most this year and will carry you through the summer?
O: The story where the king rips up God's words made me think about how I wreck stuff when I am mad.  It's not good.
J: David and Jonathan's friendship helped me be a better friend and sister.
H: I don't know yet.

Other comments:
S: Altogether, this school year has helped me realize that life is no game; it's serious and dangerous.  Learning my way and learning to work will help me through life.
O: Yay! I'm in second grade now! Wait, now I have the same harder work like J. :(


3 comments:

  1. Haha! Some of these are pretty funny. I'll quote some of my favorite parts...

    "O: The Bible, because it has my favorite stories in it." --He's so godly. ;)

    "H: My haiku about the seasons, because it was beautiful." --That H is a complex fellow. :D

    "O: H, because he's teaching me not to yell and say bad words." --Nice work, H!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that last one, I am not sure how it's true. H has just as much trouble with his mouth as O it seems. More, sometimes because he knows more words at age 12 than O at 7. Maybe the roommates are just sticking up for one another -- putting in a good word. That's good, too, I suppose. :) Brotherly love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it seems the kids are grasping some of the lessons. That's great!

    Great job, kids! Love, Namma

    ReplyDelete