Saturday, August 25, 2012

Weekend Journal: Prompt 8

Some people think homeschoolers are anti-government.

This is not true -- at least for our family.  We may not always agree with the policies and opinions of the government, but in fact, our leaders are constantly in our prayers.  For the most part, I find that if we understand (and teach others) about government -- both here and abroad -- we are more apt to appreciate and respect the system and structure that governs many aspects of our lives.

I actually rely on some of the publicly-funded resources to keep our homeschooling costs down.  We use our community libraries regularly.  I download "free" printable brochures about various things (this year a lot of public health and drug-prevention material) to use when teaching our kids.  We drive on and appreciate the well-maintained roadway system to explore our country, as well as for quick trips down to the grocery store.  If I was anti-government, I would not use or appreciate any of these privileges provided by the structure that has been put in place for us.

Public schools just don't work for our family.  I'm thankful for a government that allows us to decide that and to speak freely about that.

Anyway, that being said, this week's journal prompt is inspired by my research on the National Character Education Center's website.  I found this great set of Rules for the Responsible Student that I am going to post in our classroom (we also gladly post our Bible's Ten Commandments in the classroom -- because we can!).

The prompt this week is to journal about a character quality that you greatly admire in people and try to work on in yourself.

If you need help thinking of some major character qualities, allow me to direct you to the table created by the Duggar Family that they use daily in raising their 19 children.  But there are many others that you may already value that are not included in this chart.  This prompt is wide open.

I'd love to see your journal page if you post it somewhere.  Or even leave a comment below with one of your most valued Character Qualities.

Here's my Journal Page today...





P.S. I finally got around to posting my journal page from last weekend!  Make sure to go check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment