Monday, June 4, 2012

Journaling: Day 4

Okay, I'm super excited to share today's journal page!

I had planned to get to the park with the kids today and wanted to find my journal inspiration there, but by the time we were ready to go, it was really cloudy and lightning was starting to light up the sky.  So instead, I took the kids to DQ for ice cream and figured I'd do my journal somewhere else.

After dinner this evening, I started pondering the day and how much certain flowering trees and plants just captured my attention more than usual.  Even in the busy-ness of the day, I kept pausing a moment on particular colors and how they looked against the stormy sky.  And then I had an a-ha moment!



So the most impressive part of this page (to my kids) is the backdrop.  I got out our homeschool acrylic paints and mustered up knowledge from high school art class, blended with stuff I've learned on HGTV, and I used a darker color (blend of black, white, lavender and pale blue) and a faux paint technique to do the base.  Then, using a dry-brush technique I went over the dark base with white, lavender and pale blue (mixed together on a paper plate).  Finally, I added some dry brush strokes with the darker, original color, to add depth.

Now, I LOVE Sharpie markers (even more than Crayola Twistables) and while I couldn't think what else would have written better on top of acrylic paint, I am least fond of the scratchiness of the writing in this page.  BUT, in meeting my goals, I'm posting it anyway.  Try to look past the writing to the greater effort applied in the backdrop.

Anyway, I can't wait till tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the kiddos, I love the background!! I also love stormy days for inspiration. Great page!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The back does look great. I thought it was some stationery that you had purchased. You are very creative.

    ReplyDelete